What are Air Source Heat Pumps?
Air source heat pumps use heat energy from the outside air. The air contains sufficient energy to allow an air source heat pump to operate to temperatures down to -20oC.
Inside the heat pump there are several key components that take the heat from the air and convert it for heat in the home:
- The fan draws the outdoor air into the heat pump
- In the evaporator heat energy is transferred from the air to a closed circuit of refrigerant liquid which circulates inside the heat pump – the refrigerant will then evaporate and change state to a gas.
- The refrigerant gas is carried into a compressor which substantially increases the pressure and hence the temperature of the refrigerant (Boyle’s Law).
- In the condenser the hot refrigerant gas is cooled and condenses back to a liquid – the heat energy is transferred from the refrigerant to the heating system or hot water system of the house.
- The expansion valve releases the pressure on the refrigerant and the cycle starts again.
Arrange a quote today call 01636 555 011
Why use an Air Source Heat Pump?
The key benefit of a heat pump is that typically for every unit of electricity used to power the compressor the heat pump will output 3-4 units of heat – this makes them 300-400% efficient. This compares to typical efficiencies of 85-95% for traditional heating systems.
The precise level of heat pump efficiency is dictated by a number of factors including:
- the quality of, and technology employed in, the heat pump
- the temperature of the heat source used to evaporate the refrigerant
- the required output temperature to the house heating system
Benefits of Air Source Heat Pump?
- Minimal maintenance required (annual checks of safety systems, operational efficiency, cleaning of filters, heating distribution system check etc)
- Long warranties for quality products – up to 7 years for some of the products we install
- Improved levels of comfort – heat pumps are normally designed to match the heat losses from your property and maintain a stable internal temperature – not to deal with substantial swings in temperature from letting the property get cold as is often the case with traditional heating systems
- Little / no user intervention – no fuel deliveries
- Could provide you with an income through the government’s Renewable Heat Incentive (RHI)
- Uses a fuel which is aligned with the UKs energy strategy which will increasingly move away from dwindling fossil fuels
Get in touch
Air source heat pump replacing costly oil fired boiler. Best purchase ever. Saving over £2,000 pa on oil and £26 per month on boiler maintenance. Electricity bill only gone up by £1,000. Home is much warmer throughout the day, which is ideal now my wife and I are retired and spend a lot more time at home during the day. Found the company to be very professional, helpful and knowledgeable at all times without being pushy. We were dealt with by Mark Roper and all times we found that he had our best interest at heart.
We would highly recommend Mark and the team, who were very professional, helpful and knowledgeable and skilfully managed our project at every stage. We would definitely work with them again in the future.
We were keen to install a more sustainable heating system and to benefit from government grants, but were concerned at the number of ‘cowboys’ operating in the sector. We were delighted the willingness of Trusted Energy Solutions to listen to what we needed rather than trying to sell us what was convenient to them. They were very supportive during the somewhat eccentric grant process, and considerate and tidy during the installation process. In summary, we are now warm, and get quarterly cheques from the government for the privilege - what is there not to like?
All the staff at Trusted Energy Solutions have worked hard to help deliver my biomass boiler on time and to suit our needs. They have made the installation smooth and have been helpful and understanding talking me through the process of RHI registration and submitting readings.
We were looking for an alternative to our oil fired heating, which was getting very costly to run, but were unaware as to what the alternatives were. That was until we were referred to Mark Roper who explained everything in detail without any sales pressure at all. We felt we could trust his advice and went ahead with a pv panel installation and a heat source pump for our central heating. Our fuel costs are now much lower and any sign of an oil fired installation has gone! From start to finish the installers were very professional and clearly skilled at what they did. We would have no hesitation at recommending Mark and his company to any interested clients.
Everything went well and apart from Winston the pig getting a bit stressed due to having strangers watching him eat, the disruption was kept to a minimum. The whole installation was completed in a very professional way and the guys were great.
Highly satisfied with the way the installation was conducted and managed; everything went smoothly and the process was made very easy for us by the team. Would definitely recommend Trusted Energy to anyone looking for any products in the future!
I am very pleased with the highly efficient and prompt service I received from the engineers at Trusted Energy; they were thoroughly professional and knowledgeable - Thank you!
We are very pleased with your upgrades to our heating system for our extension. We couldn't have asked for more - your team has excelled themselves.
Huge thanks to you, Mark and the whole team for such a wonderful job - great expertise and support!